Organized Living

I got a much-needed and truly unexpected break this past July 4th weekend. I was originally supposed to work Friday night and then all day Saturday until about 10pm. But the plans changed last Tuesday when the staff decided to combine the two days worth of club events into one. Friday night Jimmy Travis, a musical comedian, performed his act at the club which we followed with a fantastic fireworks show on the golf course. It was a really fun night for everybody; Jimmy Travis was hysterically funny and the fireworks were, as usual, top notch.

My husband and daughter came to the event and both had a lot of fun... they especially liked the ice cream bar we set up on the courtyard. It was yummy! We all got home by 10:30pm. Then I had Saturday, Sunday AND Monday off!

While I chose to rest and do little piddly things like finishing a scrapbook I’ve been working on, my husband had other ideas. You see, he’s a planner. And an organizer. And a cleaner. And honest to goodness, I never really knew this about him. I mean, I knew the planning part. He has always liked to have his schedule mapped out in advance, down to what we will be eating for the week. He has already filled our calendar full of every conceivable event, trip, homework assignment and speaking gig that may be on the horizon.

But he’s WAY more organized than I ever gave him credit for. Not only has he arranged his own closets so that everything is in its perfect place, he’s also done the same thing with our kitchen, our garage, the attic, and this weekend, the laundry room. It’s been really funny to me, and kinda cute, to witness all of this. I’ve lived in this house for almost 5 years, and I always thought everything WAS organized. But now? Well, let’s just say my husband could make a fortune organizing people’s homes. I’ve never seen anything like it. I feel like I live in the Container Store (see www.containerstore.com) , and I don’t think he’s ever even been to one. This is all him.

And the best part is he seems to really enjoy doing it, which tickles me to death. To keep him smiling maybe I’ll give him access to my own closet! But we’d have to do that with one condition… he must stay away from the shoes.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I also saw four movies this weekend – two at the theater, one on DVD and one on HBO. I haven’t been able to sit through an entire movie in months, and haven’t been to the movie theater in at least 6 months or so. So this was a treat!


On HBO… I finally watched Gran Torino (or as my sister in law calls it, “El Camino”). I really didn’t have any desire to watch it when first released, but I have to say it was awesome. Definitely worth a trip to Blockbuster.


At the theater… I took Emily to see Eclipse, which is the third in the Twilight series. The acting was still pretty awful, but this was, by far, the best of the three movies. It is also, however, the first one that doesn’t really give any background. So if you haven’t read the books or seen the first two movies and you go see this one, you will be thoroughly confused.


Teddy and I went with our friends “Biscuit and Broom” to see The A-Team. It was good! Tons of action, some great lines, and the guy who plays “Face,” Bradley Cooper, is a cutie pie. Jessica Biel also has a large role in the film, so add that to all the stuff blowing up everywhere and there’s plenty to keep all the guys perfectly content. It was a really fun movie to watch for both men and women. We all enjoyed it.


On DVD… I have had in my possession for several months Cindy’s copy of Phantom of the Opera, but knew I had to block off 2½ hours to watch it. I finally took the time this weekend to watch and loved every single musical second of it. I wasn’t as impressed with Gerard Butler as I had hoped I would be, but Minnie Driver was hilarious, and Patrick Wilson’s voice was mesmerizing. If you like musicals and have never seen this movie, you should definitely rent it.

Comments

Popular Posts