The Latest

Yesterday I spent the entire day sans makeup and wearing my new sweats from Old Navy. It rained early in the day and I made it through a few chapters of the book I'm currently reading. I put beef tips in the crock pot for supper, and basically just luxuriated in my physical exhaustion, dozing in and out of sleep most of the day and evening. To sum it up... it was a wonderful day!

See, my friend Libby and I took a very quick trip to Dallas Friday after work, arriving there at about 10:30pm. After a marathon day of shopping Saturday, we pointed the automobile toward home and made it back around midnight. I don't know what it is about traveling, but for some reason taking trips, whether long or short, makes me really tired. It doesn't make much sense to me, really. I mean, when you're traveling you're simply SITTING for a long period of time, either in a car or plane or train or boat or whatever. So it seems a little silly for me to be so sleepy the day after the journey.
Although, I suppose it could be having to deal with the horrible stand-still Dallas traffic in this particular instance. At any rate, I've learned to accept it and yesterday I embraced the opportunity to be lazy.

I have also learned to justify my exhaustion by looking at my calendar for the past couple of months. Aside from starting a new job, I buried myself in several other responsibilities, including emceeing the Miss Shreveport Pageant for the 12th straight year. It's hard to admit how long ago I actually wore the crown of Miss Shreveport. In fact, that night I had a difficult time even remembering what year it was. Turns out it was 1988. Or as other old timers would say "19 and 88." Which means it was 24 years ago that I was Miss Shreveport. That was more than half my life ago. It's a whole grown person's life ago! Perhaps that's why it was so hard to remember.
_______________________________________________________________________________


When we returned from our beach vacation a couple of weeks ago, we picked our dog up from the boarding place and brought her home only to realize that she was acting weird. She had no energy, wouldn't eat much, and kept sneezing. She also had what sounded like a chest full of congestion. I, of course, turned to the Internet to diagnose my canine and ended up terrifying myself into believing she had some horrible disease. (Okay, so I know that a person who constantly convinces herself that she is sick is called a hypochondriac. But what do you call a person who constantly convinces herself that her dog is sick?)

Long story short, Teddy took Lily to the vet and found out that she had a cold. A COLD?! Did you know that dogs could catch a cold? I didn't know this. Apparently, she caught it from one of her doggie friends at the pet hotel. I haven't done any digging into which canine she might have been getting a little too close to, for fear of finding out Lily has a boyfriend. I'm just glad I had the vet give her some permanent puppy birth control several years back...

_______________________________________________________________________________


This past weekend's trip to Dallas was the second such trip I've taken in the past month. The first one was actually a business trip. On the way back from that journey I had the opportunity to dine with my best friend from high school, Stephanie, who lives in the Dallas area.

You know what I think is really cool? When you can sit down with somebody you knew "way back when" and talk as if you just saw her yesterday. Friendships like that are worth so, so much to me. Talking to Steph was like coming home. We were friends as kids, but even though we are now grown, we just picked up where we left off. It was awesome.

I've recently become reacquainted with another friend from way back when. Lisa and I roomed together back in 1989, but lost contact for 20 or so years. And now it's such a blessing to have her back in my life. Especially since she is about to become the next big thing in cookie making. Lookout Mrs. Fields... my friend Lisa is closing in on ya! More on this later...


_______________________________________________________________________________

And in case you're wondering... I'm loving my new job! I'm still in the beginning phase, but learning a lot and already making an impact. It's a wonderful opportunity and I feel incredibly blessed.






Comments

Popular Posts