A day that will live in infamy...

Wow.

That's the only word I can use to accurately sum up my entire experience reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. And I guess it's fitting that I finished it today, on the 70th anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

I'm not going to give you a summary. You can read those all over the web. But what I will say about the book is it gave me a whole new understanding of what the WWII POW's endured during the years of their captivity. The cruelty and brutality of the prison guards was unfathomable, and the fact that anyone survived it at all is a tribute to the bravery and sheer will power of those young men, who deserved none of what they were dealt.

The book tells the story of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner-turned-soldier whose story of survival is the most incredible I've ever read. It will be a long time before I can say the words "I'm having a bad day" and not think of Zamperini. Because knowing his story makes every day I live a beautiful blessing from God. I am in awe of his life, of his spirit, and of his tale of redemption.

If you haven't yet, you really should read this book. It could change your life.

Comments

Popular Posts