Peace, Love and Fashion

I have totally dropped the ball with regard to my blogging duties and I sincerely apologize. All of my moms (I have multiple moms - one of them birthed me, the others adopted me) have made comments to the effect of, "Well, you must be REALLY busy, because I haven't read anything new on the blog in a while." I'm in trouble. Sigh...

SOOOOO... here's what's been going on!

Our annual Spring Style Show was Tuesday. And as I've written a few times before, this is a huge undertaking. I started working on it in January, coming up with a theme and color scheme, creating and mailing 760 invitations to our members, choosing and inviting stores to participate, and handling all the mailings that go along with it. I decided on a 60's theme - "Peace, Love and Fashion."

Here was our general color scheme and the invitation:


I chose gerber daisies as our table flowers, in the same colors as the invitations.


And then, Thank You, Lord!, I found out that my go-to creative genius, Baileigh Levee, was going to be in town and could do some wild decorating for me. I told her I wanted bright colors, flowers... "60's peace and love stuff." She created a tie-dyed daisy tree. Very creative and groovy!

It started like this:


And this:


And ended up looking like this:




Baileigh is truly one of the most creatively talented people I've ever met. Every time I hire her to do her magic, she will call me to explain what she envisions, but it always goes right over my head, and I'll end up simply telling her I trust her and to just do whatever she wants to do. It's really nice to know I can just hand her the ball and she will, without fail, score a touchdown.

I emceed the event, and we had 4 stores modeling 20 outfits each. It was a big success, with the kitchen serving up a delicious lunch, the waitstaff timing food delivery perfectly, and the show lasting just under 1 1/2 hours. I always feel like I've just given birth after a style show. It's a tremendous feeling of relief.

The only downer was that I had to take down the daisy tree just one hour after the show. Using wire cutters, John (another of our staff) and I cut the tree down piece by piece. But we saved the materials, and I plan to use them again for our Easter Egg Hunt, which is the Saturday before Easter. It's a busy time of year!!!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been really busy away from work, too. As I wrote in an earlier post, I have started singing in my church choir. It's been fun! And I'm already on the schedule to sing two solos this Sunday night, and will sing with the Praise Team for the first time at the 11:00am service Sunday, March 21. With my choir duties and Sunday school and church... I am now in church every time the door opens! The way I see it, if I'm spending more time in God's house than anywhere else, then that's a good thing.

My focus has turned upward, which has opened my eyes to a lot of things I never saw before. When you spend a lot of time in God's word, things become clear. There really is an instruction manual for life, but people just don't take the time to read it. Or maybe they just don't want to read it. If you actually read the rules, then any excuse not to follow them becomes empty and self-centered. It's convicting. And as imperfect human beings, it is simply easier for us to live the "worldly way" instead of the "Godly way."

God is moving in my life in very unexpected ways. I've learned a lot in the past 6 months or so. The biggest thing I've learned is that people can change, but lasting change has to be grounded in Jesus Christ. You should never give up on people, no matter how bad you think they are, because the Lord is capable of taking the worst possible things and turning them around to bring Himself glory. And if we let Him, He will do wonderous things in our lives. While things I do or decisions I make may cause people to think I'm crazy, I know in my heart that taking God's direction - and a leap of faith - will bring me much more joy in the long run than will succumbing to the fear of what other people might think.

It's a long and winding road...

Comments

Popular Posts