Singing for the Last Supper


Last week was a busy one for me. Our church choir had our Easter performance last night, so we had several rehearsals leading up to it. It was The Living Last Supper, and it was really great, with guys from our congregation portraying Jesus and his disciples. The disciples each had a soliloquy (except for Judas, of course, who simply left the room before the "supper" was over), giving their thoughts on what Jesus could possibly have meant when He said, "One of you will betray me." It really was a neat look at this historical event, and it was deeply thought-provoking.

Along with the Last Supper, the choir performed 9 songs, four of which included solos. And one of those solos was sung by...me! I didn't even get the assignment until last Wednesday, so I had to spend some extra time working on it. And the end of the song is one of those "ad-lib" sort of deals, so I had to be really clear on where the music was going chord-wise in order not to botch it up.

Singing a solo during a choral number has an added amount of stress for me. When just singing a song by myself, if I mess up then I'm just making myself look (sound) bad. But if I tank the solo part of a choral number, then I'm taking the whole choir down with me. So I did my homework and made sure I had my stuff together!

I received two of the greatest compliments I've ever been given, too. A lady in the congregation gave me a hug afterwards and told me, "I don't know how anybody can listen to you sing and not be saved by your voice." Wow. That brought tears to my eyes. I hope people can hear God in my voice and see Him in my life.

The other compliment came from my daughter. In the car after the show, she said, "You know, Mom, you always tell me how proud you are of me. But tonight... I'm the one who's proud." Sweet!

Now THAT makes me want to sing a happy tune!

Comments

Popular Posts