Really? I mean... REALLY?!?!

I cannot hold my tongue any longer. I just have to say something about this. I am CERTAIN I'm not the only person who has had this thought or even written about it. But being in the PR/marketing game for quite some time, I simply have to wonder who thought this was a good idea.

It's a new drug on the market. It supposedly aids in digestion and helps to prevent heartburn and acid reflux disease. There are commercials on television promoting it. And it has the most unfortunate name of any product I've ever seen advertised.

It's called Aciphex. According to the commercials, the name of said drug is pronounced "ass effects." No, I'm not kidding.

This whole thing confounds me. I mean, were all the executives at the drug company sitting around a table with the advertising folks, bouncing the name and promotional ideas around and nodding and saying, "Yeah, this is great stuff!!!"? Did NO ONE say, "You know, guys, the name of this thing could get us into trouble"??? Anyone? ANYONE??? Bueller????

Of course, maybe this was done on purpose. Perhaps the joke's on me. I remember the product and what it does BECAUSE of its name, which is the number one goal of advertising. I even remember the commercials themselves. The spots show several people talking about the drug, but only their noses and mouths show... not the eyes. While watching, I was thinking to myself, "I wouldn't want to be recognized either."

If that's the case, if this unfortunate name was created purposely for the sheer goal of having people remember it, then why didn't they take it a step further? These people must have great senses of humor - twisted, yes, but still funny. So why didn't they just put a bunch of gassy people on camera and let the Soundiphex (pronounced "sound effects") work for them? If you're gonna go that route, why not take it all the way? If you're gonna step out on a limb, then for heaven's sake get on out there!!

Maybe they were just testing the waters on the first commercial spot. Maybe we are in for a big treat with the next one. If so, I hope I can hit the mute button in plenty of time.

Comments

Popular Posts