Lessons and Learning

I'm embarking on yet another new adventure. Or I guess, now that I think about it, it's not an adventure so much as that I'm taking on a new title... that of Sunday School Teacher. Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, beginning this Sunday I will be helping to mold the minds of 9th and 10th grade girls.

God help me.

And I mean that for real... I hope He does help me. A lot. I've mentioned before that I'm fairly new at the whole Bible study thing. I've always enjoyed listening to sermons and following along in my own Bible, but actually studying The Word on my own had always seemed intimidating to me. It was hard to understand. It was convicting.

Speaking of convicting... check this out.

"Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged by God with greater strictness."
James 3:1 (NLT)


I've been working my way through the New Testament, and as I was reading through James, that verse popped out at me. It was like a little reminder from my Holy Father. I'll take it to heart.

And I'll also enjoy working with the girls. I figure they will teach me just as much as I can teach them. If we really think about it, isn't that the way all relationships should be? When we stop learning, we stop living. And we can learn very valuable lessons from people with whom we have contact. Even if it's to learn what NOT to do, or how NOT to act.

This morning at work I watched a guy actually get angry about our kitchen staff putting some specific ingredient into the muffins -- I think he said almond extract? -- that he said should not be in the recipe. Seriously? That's something to get angry about? If he continues to get so worked up about such piddly things, he will live a very short life. Or a really lonely one.

And here's the kicker... the muffins are FREE!

So there's a lesson in that. Perhaps the lesson is "don't bite the hand that feeds you." Or maybe it's "don't complain if it's free." Maybe the lesson is that people get angry about almond extract being in a muffin recipe.

What I think the lesson is, though, is "the world doesn't revolve around me." Well, that and "getting visibly and audibly hacked off because of a free muffin makes a person look really, really silly."

Comments

Popular Posts