The light at the end of the tunnel


It's been a long road. But finally, the end is within my reach.

I began the arduous task of adding a master's degree to my educational background in November of 2006. This is not an easy thing to do when you are a single mom who works a 40+ hour a week job. I've trudged through the studying, class attendance and paper writing, methodically doing whatever was needed to gain the hours and top grades. And now, a little more than two years later, the completion of this goal is in sight.

Graduation date - May 23, 2009.

WOOOOOO!!!

Granted, I still have to pass my comprehensive exam. What that means is that I have to take a test that covers information learned in every single class in the curriculum. I'll start studying in a month or so for the spring exam... it will take me a while. But I'm not too worried about it. I ran into one of my professors at the grocery store a few weeks ago, and I asked her some questions about the test. Her exact words were, "Child, if you don't pass the exam, then there's something wrong with the EXAM." Of course, she's been one of my biggest supporters in this endeavor... even nominated me for the psychology graduate student of the year last year, an honor I actually received. I'm not sure what I did to make her like me so much, but it's nice to know I have her in my corner. And she seems to think I'll knock it out of the park. So that's comforting.

In the meantime, I'll just keep plugging along, one foot in front of the other... the way I've lived my life for the past couple of years. But at least now, I'm walking towards something. And once I get there I'll be able to look back and see a grand accomplishment... one I'm pretty darned proud of.

Comments

Popular Posts