Always in a Hurry


Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.
~Mac McCleary



I've always been the type of person who stops and smells the roses. Or the gardenias, or the sweet olive, or even whatever my mom is cooking in the kitchen. I notice a pretty sunset, love to watch hummingbirds, and try my best to smile at people I pass on the street or in the store. I believe in being nice and appreciate being on the receiving end of kindness. I try to soak it all in and bask in the warmth of the world. Until...

I'm behind the wheel of a car.

I don't understand what happens to me. I become a totally different person. I lose every ounce of patience I have, and even when I'm leaving the house plenty early to get where I'm going with time to spare, I still rush. My motto has always been "Life is all about the journey, unless you're behind the wheel of a car. Then it's all about getting there quickly." I get in the drivers seat, and off I go!

And that's when I believe God shows His sense of humor and uses other drivers to test my patience.

Granny pulls out in front of me on a two lane road and goes 20 mph below the speed limit. Soccer Mom, talking on her cell phone (don't get me started) decides she's going to turn right, but because her phone conversation is so much more important than signalling other drivers with a blinker, she slows down to a dead crawl before actually making the turn. Junior (who has a male ego issue) while driving on the interstate pulls alongside an 18 wheeler and proceeds to go the exact same speed as the trucker so no one else can pass him.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

You know, I think I probably said my first cuss word while driving. The car is the only place I can think of in which I am capable of completely losing my cool. Don't get me wrong, I don't give other drivers hand gestures or anything. I still try to be visually diplomatic. But thank goodness those other drivers can't hear me. I'd be embarrassed.

I reckon God is probably throwing all those speed bumps (aka terrible drivers) in my way to slow me down. He probably just figures I should relax and take my time. And being all perfect and all-knowing and everything, I'm sure He's right.

So, it's now approaching 5:00, and time for me to leave the office and hit rush hour traffic. Only, maybe today, I'll try not to be the one rushing.

Comments

Popular Posts