A Lovely Surprise


Today at work, I received this lovely bouquet of baby tulips from my Dad and Staci to wish me a Happy Birthday (tomorrow I'll be 41 - UGH!) and to congratulate me on my "academic success." It made my day!

I just love sweet, happy surprises!

Another good surprise was this book, which I just finished reading yesterday.
As the events director at a country club, one of my duties is to lead a book club, and this was the ladies' selection for May. Now I have to say, I'm not always thrilled with the books they choose. Typically, I'll read an extra book or two of my own choosing per month, and struggle through that month's club selection.

But this book was different.

I read it in two days. I couldn't put it down. Same Kind of Different as Me is a true story about three people and how their lives crossed paths. The back of the book jacket reads as follows:

"A dangerous, homeless drifter who grew up picking cotton in virtual slavery. An upscale art dealer accustomed to the world of Armani and Chanel. A gutsy woman with a stubborn dream. A story so incredible no novelist would dare dream it."

I won't tell you any details about the plot or story, because if you choose to read it, I wouldn't want to spoil any part of the experience for you. I will, however, say this. This is one of the most moving, inspiring books I've read in a long time. It has a wonderful storyline and a beautiful Christian message. It was a blessing.

I've enjoyed two wonderful surprises in two days. It's been a really good week so far!

Comments

Popular Posts